Table of Contents
Is it really okay to shave your face and neck? For many years, we have lived with the myth that women should not shave their faces, fearing that the shaven fine hairs would in turn grow into thicker hair. However, that’s not true.
At Syra Aesthetics, we understand that dermaplaning facial can help restore your youthful glow, without affecting the hair growth.
People who’ve experienced the amazing results of Dermaplaning, have been seen inquiring how often you should dermaplane? – Unlike daily shaving for men, dermaplaning is a cosmetic treatment spaced out over weeks, not days. Rest assured that your hair will not grow back faster, darker, or thicker.
What is Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is a non-invasive cosmetic procedure where a skilled practitioner uses a surgical scalpel to gently remove the top layer of dead skin cells and fine facial hair, resulting in smoother, brighter skin.
It’s commonly employed to combat dullness, uneven skin tone, and fine lines, yielding a youthful and radiant complexion. Dermaplaning enhances product absorption and makeup application, making it a sought-after option for achieving a refreshed appearance.
Benefits of Dermaplaning
- No Downtime: Dermaplaning is a painless and non-invasive procedure that requires no downtime, enabling you to resume your regular activities immediately.
- Suitable for All Skin Types: It is safe for all skin types, including sensitive skin and during pregnancy. It can also be combined with other beauty treatments, so consult with your medical provider for compatibility.
- Enhanced Skincare Product Absorption: Dermaplaning improves the effectiveness of your skincare products by removing the top layer of skin, allowing better absorption.
- Anti-Aging Benefits: Besides achieving smoother skin through debris and hair removal, dermaplaning stimulates collagen production, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Acne Treatment and Prevention: Dermaplaning helps prevent pore-clogging, reducing acne blemishes. It also enhances the absorption of acne treatments for faster healing.
- Excellent Makeup Primer: Dermaplaning acts as a primer for makeup, creating a smooth canvas for makeup application that integrates seamlessly with your skin.
How Often Should You Dermaplane?
It depends on the individual’s condition, and the best recommendations should come from the provider. However, general guidelines suggest that dermaplaning should be repeated approximately every 3-4 weeks to maintain the results.
How Long Dermaplaning Results Last?
The duration of dermaplaning results can vary from person to person, but typically, the effects last for about 3 to 4 weeks. This is because dermaplaning removes the top layer of dead skin cells, and as your skin naturally sheds cells, the smoothness and brightness gradually diminish.
To maintain the results, many people choose to have dermaplaning treatments every 3 to 4 weeks or as recommended by their skincare professional.
How to Make Dermaplaning Results Last Longer?
The dermaplaning results may not last longer than 4 weeks but some habits and aftercare tips make it last longer, some of them are as follows:
- Maintain a Skincare Routine: Consistently use skincare products tailored to your skin type and concerns. Quality moisturizers and serums can help support healthy skin and prolong the effects of dermaplaning.
- Sun Protection: Apply broad-spectrum sunscreen daily to protect your skin from UV damage, which can accelerate skin aging and reduce the longevity of dermaplaning results.
- Hydration: Keep your skin well-hydrated by drinking enough water and using a hydrating moisturizer. Hydrated skin tends to maintain its suppleness and glow.
- Avoid Harsh Products: Be cautious with strong exfoliants or harsh skincare products immediately after dermaplaning, as your skin may be more sensitive. Consult your provider for suitable post-care recommendations.
- Limit Sun Exposure: Minimize prolonged sun exposure, and if you need to be outdoors, wear protective clothing, hats, and sunglasses along with sunscreen to prevent damage.
- Regular Maintenance: Schedule regular dermaplaning sessions every 3-4 weeks or as recommended by your skincare professional to maintain the results.
- Stay Hygienic: Keep your skin clean and free from makeup and dirt. Gentle cleansing helps prevent breakouts and maintains a clear complexion.
- Healthy Lifestyle: Eat a balanced diet rich in vitamins and antioxidants, get regular exercise, and manage stress as these factors contribute to overall skin health.
- Avoid Smoking: Smoking can accelerate skin aging and reduce the effectiveness of cosmetic treatments, so quitting or avoiding smoking can help maintain dermaplaning results.
Dermaplaning is a non-surgical, highly effective treatment for removing peach fuzz and small hairs. Its results typically last for about 4 weeks, and repeated sessions may be needed every 4 weeks. However, with proper skin care maintenance, the results can potentially last longer.
Dr. Syra Hanif offers top-notch dermaplaning treatments in Manhattan, NYC. Book your appointment today!
About The AuthorDr. Syra Hanif M.D.
Board Certified Primary Care Physician
Dr. Hanif is the Director of Aesthetic Medicine. She is a board-certified physician in Aesthetic Medicine who specializes in using non-surgical alternatives in order to enhance one's appearance through Botox and fillers.Read More