Table of Contents
As you enter your forties and fifties, you start noticing the signs of old age that are slowly creeping into your life silently. Among the many signs that aging manifest itself in, sagging skin is the most worrying and prominent one. If you are finding yourself constantly worrying about sagging skin, you have come to the right place. In this article, we will be covering all the causes and possible treatments of sagging jowls.
What are Sagging Jowls?
Sagging jowls is a sagging skin just below your chin and jaw that looks baggy or loose. This happens when your skin loses elasticity and as a result, loses its definition.
Sagging jowls are not a medical condition, so you don’t have to be scared. But it does cause quite a lot of distress and lead to low self-esteem in people who have sagging jowls.
What are the Causes of Sagging Jowls?
To treat a certain condition, you must know where it is coming from. This is why knowing the causes of sagging jowls is essential if you want don’t want to experience them again.
- Collagen protein in your body ensures skin elasticity as it contributes to the composition of your connective tissues. But this protein depletes with time leading to less skin elasticity which also affects your chin and the area below the jaw.
- Your genetics can also play a huge role in causing sagging jowls. If your parents have jowls, you are likely to develop them.
- There are certain facial expressions that are also responsible for causing sagging jowls.
- If you lose a significant amount of weight after gaining a lot, the previously stretched skin can accumulate and become baggy.
- Excessive exposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays in sunlight may damage collagen in your skin leading to saggy skin.
- Looking down only on your computer or phone for an extended time period can also cause your skin to lose its elasticity.
- Smoking is also a big cause of saggy skin due to the presence of nicotine and other chemicals that are harmful to collagen and elastin.
How to get rid of Sagging Jowls?
A sagging jowl is not harmful at all, but it can make you lose your confidence, which can create distress in your life. Therefore, to prevent you from going into such a rabbit hole, we are putting together a list of all the ways that treat sagging jowls.
One of the most effective ways to treat sagging jowls is injectable botox. Botox not only beautifies your overall facial look by removing fine lines and wrinkles, but it also tightens your jowl skin to give you a youthful look.
The procedure of botox for jowls is the same as any other botox treatment. The patient is given anaesthesia to numb their skin. Then an injection containing botox is inserted into their skin, which causes muscle paralysis. Once the procedure is done, you will have to wash your face immediately with cold water to reduce the chances of welling.
Derma fillers are also another good way to treat your saggy skin. They contain hyaluronic acid that fills in your jowls and drives their sagginess away. Some fillers, in fact, produce more collagen that keeps your skin elastic and tight.
Changing Personal Style
If you don’t want to go for aesthetic procedures, you can still reduce your sagging jowls by changing your personal style. This means you adopt certain styles that can camouflage your jowls. This includes contouring your chin or jawlines such that your jowls become less noticeable.
Another great way to make your jowls less noticeable is wearing a turtleneck and scarves around your neck. They can hide your neck and the area below your jaws, covering your jowls in the process.
How can you reduce the risk of sagging jowls?
If you haven’t developed saggy jowls but are worried and looking for ways to reduce the risk of developing them, here is how you can do it:
- Avoid smoking as nicotine and other forms of tobacco can have a damaging impact on your skin.
- Limit your exposure to UV light and sunlight, or always wear sunscreen on your face and neck. Make it a part of your skincare regimen before going out to start your day.
- Limit your use of mobile and laptop so that you can keep your head at a natural and comfortable angle.
If you are developing sagging jowls, you don’t have to be worried at all. There are numerous treatments that can treat your sagging jowls. At Syra Aesthetics, we are offering aesthetic services that beautify your appearance and give you toned skin. Be it sagging jowls or any other aesthetic issues, give us a visit and expect amazing results.
About The AuthorDr. Syra Hanif M.D.
Board Certified Primary Care Physician
Dr. Hanif is the Director of Aesthetic Medicine. She is a board-certified physician in Aesthetic Medicine who specializes in using non-surgical alternatives in order to enhance one's appearance through Botox and fillers.Read More