Table of Contents
Age is not just a number of years gone by; it also brings significant changes along with it that shows its signs both inside and out. Laugh lines a.k.a nasolabial folds are one of the many signs that appear as we age.
Dr. Syra Hanif, a certified doctor and aesthetics expert, is providing premium cometic treatment options in NYC for smile lines. In this blog, we will explain why these wrinkles develop and how to get rid of laugh lines.
What Are Laugh Lines?
Laugh lines, often referred to as smile lines or nasolabial folds, are the wrinkles that extend from the corners of your mouth to the base of your nose. These nasolabial folds are a natural part of aging and are nothing to be ashamed of. However, some individuals may experience their development earlier or find them more noticeable, which can lead to feelings of embarrassment. For those who feel uncomfortable smiling with these wrinkles, there are non-surgical treatments available, such as microneedling.
Why Do I Have Smile Lines (Laugh Lines)?
What specifically causes smile lines cannot be determined – however, here are some of the factors that can contribute to the formation of laugh lines:
- Sun Damage
- Loss of elasticity (collagen)
- Weight loss: Fluctuations in weight, whether it’s a substantial loss or gain, can highlight nasolabial folds by altering skin elasticity and cheek size.
How To Get Rid of Laugh Lines?
While there are multiple ways to treat nasolabial folds – here are the most commonly opted non-surgical treatment options:
Botox for Nasolabial Folds:
Botox injections are known for treating fine lines and wrinkles. Similarly, for laugh lines, they do so by relaxing the contracted muscles that are responsible for the formation of nasolabial folds, offering a temporary reduction in their visibility that can last for several months.
Dermal Fillers for Smile Lines:
Dermal fillers involve injecting a substance into skin creases, which adds volume and fullness by plumping the area. The results typically endure for six months to a year, with common filler options combining hyaluronic acid, polylactic acid, calcium hydroxylapatite, and polymethyl-methacrylate microspheres (PMMA).
How to Get Rid of Nasolabial Folds Without Fillers?
Those who are not comfortable with fillers, can opt microneedling to treat their smile lines:
Microneedling for Smile Lines:
Microneedling, also known as collagen induction therapy, utilizes fine needles to make micro-wounds in the skin, stimulating the body’s innate healing mechanisms and promoting the production of collagen and elastin. This process effectively targets smile lines by revitalizing loose facial tissues, leading to a more youthful look. Moreover, microneedling establishes tiny channels in the skin, improving the absorption of medical-grade skincare products applied post-treatment.
How to Prevent Smile Lines?
- Eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly, and prioritize sufficient sleep for overall skin health.
- Avoid using skincare products that cause stinging or burning sensations unless prescribed by a healthcare provider to prevent skin irritation.
- Steer clear of sun exposure and tanning beds to prevent accelerated aging, wrinkles, age spots, and skin cancer due to harmful UV rays.
- Consider quitting smoking or refrain from starting to protect your skin’s well-being.
- Opt for sleeping on your back or switch sides regularly if you’re a side sleeper to mitigate the effects of gravity on laugh lines.
- Maintain a skincare routine with a gentle cleanser and moisturizer, consulting a dermatologist for personalized recommendations based on your skin type and goals.
- Use sunscreen with at least SPF 30 daily, reapplying every two hours, or more frequently if sweating or swimming, to shield your skin from UV damage.
Laugh lines are inevitable as we age, but they are not untreatable – for anyone who’s seeking treatment options for laugh lines in NYC, Dr. Syra Hanif offers the most effective cometic
solutions to reduce these wrinkles. She provides a range of treatment options, including Botox, dermal fillers, and microneedling. Schedule your consultation today to discover the right option for you.
About The AuthorDr. Syra Hanif M.D.
Board Certified Primary Care Physician
Dr. Hanif is the Director of Aesthetic Medicine. She is a board-certified physician in Aesthetic Medicine who specializes in using non-surgical alternatives in order to enhance one's appearance through Botox and fillers.Read More